Thursday, August 07, 2003

I just unpacked from my trip. It took me less than half an hour! I don't know why I always have such a hard time unpacking...when I finally put my mind to doing it, I learn the same thing every time - it's just not that hard and doesn't actually take that much effort or that much time.

It's my birthday on Saturday! I cannot believe I am going to be 31 years old! I don't know what it means, really...not sure why it seems odd to me. I think I just never really pictured life beyond a certain age...maybe beyond 26 or so. I don't know why. I think it's because I could never really visualize "adult" things for myself. I didn't exactly grow up with great marriage role models...and so that "dream" that little girls have of growing up and getting married, well...I didn't really experience that. Not that I didn't - or don't - want to get married. It just wasn't really something I paid too much attention to doing...I don't know what I paid attention to doing! I don't know what I thought 31 would be like. But this is for sure not what I envisioned...

I live alone. I have a great career. I am surrounded by so many loving friends and fun people to spend my time with. I do triathlons and marathons (for fun!). I live across the country from my mother, hundreds of miles from my sister and three thousand miles from two of my best friends. This is my 31. It's pretty good as far as lives go. But 31...it feels maybe a bit old...Like for being 31, I should have more to show for it. A kid maybe? A husband? A book published? An advanced degree? Maybe when I am 41 I will have all that?

No comments: