Saturday, March 06, 2004

Mayor Bloomberg said today that he believes gay people deserve the same marriage benefits for their partnerships that straight people get. I wonder how it feels for gay people to have this national "conversation" going on around them as if they can't hear what people are saying. I mean, there are many people going onto the airwaves and in the newspapers talking about gay people as if they are this "other" thing...almost as if they aren't people. I suppose on some level by me talking here about gay people as a "them" I am doing the same. I don't know. All I know is that this movement to give gay people marriage rights as they are enjoyed by straight people isn't stopping anytime soon. And last week, as I sat in that restaurant in LA with Mer and her friends and heard them talk about commitment ceremonies and wanting to get married, Jen waking up next to her wife, Lucien waking up next to his husband...well, I got excited for them. I mean, the irony is that I am allowed to get married and I have yet to meet a man I want to spend my life with. Rinat is, legally, not allowed to get married but she and Lianna are as committed to each other as I hope to some day be to a man...

Anyway, I had my interview at Haas MBA program today. I can't decide if it went well or not. The whole day was pretty overwhelming...I mean, session after session, the same questions and information over and over again. Not too much food. And in the middle of all that, an interview. I guess I can be grateful that my interview was at 1pm and not 3pm. I think I may have been kind of wilty by 3pm. Anyway, I don't know how they decide who interviews you but I found it fascinating that my interviewer currently works at Levi's! It made for interesting conversation as I had to explain my short, four month stint at the company. I also thought it was interesting how different a background she had from mine. She was so finance focused and, well, I am clearly not. But I think that turned out to be a good thing, actually. Because I think she would be able to tell the Admissions Committee how someone "like me" would fit into a program where there are certainly more people "like her" than like me. Hopefully she sees that I would add value and dimension to the class and the program. But if not, you know, maybe that means I am not right for the program...so we will see. They are sending out decisions on March 15, apparently. So, one more week of wondering about Berkeley.

I did meet a cool girl today so if we both end up at Berkeley, at least I know there is someone I already connected with. She told me she applied to Stanford in Round One and got rejected. I don't know what kind of application I have compared to other people but I do have to say...I got discouraged. Oh well. As I have said many times before...it's out of my hands at this point.

No comments: