Sunday, September 21, 2003

Apparently Wes Clark is leading in a new poll...strangely, I think, in that he has only been a real candidate for a few days. I think it's a good sign, though. I think it demonstrates that people are looking for something, someone to get them excited. Yes, I know, everyone talks about how Dean gets people really excited. But you know, so do all the candidates. I mean, there are people who are very excited about John Kerry (I was one of them long ago and I would enthusiastically support him if he became our party's candidate); strange as I may find it, there are people excited about Joe Lieberman (am I a bad Jew that I am not one of them?); I have seen the excitement Dennis Kucinich excites in people; Carole Moseley-Braun got people so excited that the National Organization for Women (NOW) endorsed her! So there is no shortness of excitement surrounding the Democratic party's presidential candidates. I think Dean gets a lot of the attention because, let's face it, the media still thinks the Internet is "cool" - I am not convinced the suits in charge of our corporate media really get the Internet - and because Dean's campaign has brilliantly harnessed the power of the Internet in a way the American presidential campaign has never seen. That and the fact that Dean's supporters are - or at least seem to be - scrappier than the other candidates' supporters. I mean, Dean himself is scrappier than the rest of them. Out of all the candidates, he is the one I can most envision rolling up his sleeves and getting shit done. Anyway, Clark, I think, is the first candidate to come along that inspires a similar scrappiness in people...I think he has that "roll-up-his-sleevesness" that Dean has. But something about him is more...I don't know...Presidential? I hate that word...It's such a media fabrication. But when you stand them next to each other, certainly they both have the credentials to be President, Clark and Dean...but side by side, I don't know...I think Clark has something an extra something...a Presidential quality that only appears lacking in Dean when a candidate like Clark is in the race. It doesn't hurt that Wes Clark is a total babe.

No comments: