Tuesday, September 23, 2003

So the recall is on. I surprise myself by feeling like that's the right and proper decision (my keen legal analysis brought me to this conclusion!). I am ready to be done with the whole thing anyway. I have yet to really entertain the idea that Arnold might win...I just cannot, as "they" say, "go there." Driving home from Modesto today I saw a car with an Arnold bumper sticker...I actually laughed out loud. It seemed absurd to me that anyone would support him...that anyone really wants Arnold Schwarzenegger to be Governor! Anyway, I am ready for it to be done with and I am going to try not to get too caught up in it on Election Day. I mean, I will vote and I wlil be eager to learn the outcome...Hopefully No on Recall will prevail. But if it doesn't, well, I am hoping I can find the humor in it all - regardless of who becomes Governor - and know that I can easily leave the state if it gets out of hand.

I definitely live in interesting times.

I listened to Bush's speech to the United Nations today. Has there ever been a President of the United States less inspiring than this guy? His speech was fine, I guess. His delivery was fine...I mean, other than his usual nuke-yu-ler pronunciation he didn't fuck up too much (and for the record, I think that his incorrect pronunciation of that word is, in itself, a punishable offense). But his speech was so uninspiring. Leaving everyone to read between the lines, never apologizing for his steamroll of the UN, and never once acknowledging that he needs the UN's help right now, that he was wrong about going it alone. Not that he needs to grovel...he doesn't...the United States should not need to beg for help, even in this case when we fucked up and everyone knows it. But if we - and by "we" I mean the so-called leaders who are meant to represent all Americans on the world stage - if we showed even the slightest bit of humility, I am convinced it would go a long way. Alas this cowboy, this wanna-be soldier George Bush...he knows not of humility.

No comments: