Monday, November 24, 2003

I had a date last night. I had a good time (yes, mom...I had a good time). Uh-oh. This is where I turn into a spaz. So, this should be interesting. Hopefully he won't think I am too much of a dork and we will go out again. As Taylor tried to remind me when I called her in a panic last night after I got home, I have to remember to think one date at a time...that's all it was - one date. And maybe he liked me, too, and we can go on a second date. And then maybe a third? And then I have to stop there and that's that. I marvel at the fact that I can be 31 years old and yet not much about dating has changed since I was 16...the stakes seem higher, I guess. But the whole process is basically the same.

I am really starting to worry that we won't have a good candidate to take on Bush next fall. I think the press is beating up on John Kerry. Dean just does not do it for me...Wesley Clark has it all on paper but he hasn't touched anything deep in me yet and I am not sure how much longer I can give him the benefit of the doubt. If not for the whole Tawanna Brawley thing so many years ago, Al Sharpton might be my man. He is damn funny and I cannot wait for him to host Saturday Night Live. As I write this I wonder if maybe that's my problem with Dean - he does not seem to have much of a sense of humor. There is something about him that is too edgy, bordering on mean. I don't know. I will, obviously, support whoever is our nominee. I just want to feel like we are going to win. I don't want to lose this election on the moral high ground. I hate that liberal Democrats would rather be right than win. Sure, it would be nice to be [morally] pure and win. But as we have seen in recent years, moral purity does not lead to winning. And while in 2000 that may have seemed a worthwhile trade-off, I think most people would now agree that it turned out much worse than we had ever imagined.

No comments: