Monday, April 14, 2003

I saw the most interesting thing in Mollie Stone's today. I was on my hunt for some brisket for Passover...unsuccessful, by the way...and ended up buying two bottles of kosher wine,a box of yolk-less egg matzo and a box of Passover cereal (Manischewitz frosted flakes). No luck with the brisket. As I was checking out, I noticed a sign at the checkout counter that was all about some new product, "Nutri Clean" or something like that. It's some fruit and vegetable cleansing process that removes all the pesticide residue from the outside of the fruits and veggies. So there is this sign that says somwthing like, "NutriClean is a method of washing fruits and vegetables that has been proven to remove all traces of pesticide residue. Organic is a method and system of farming and does not guarantee that your fruits and vegetables are completely pesticide free." Or something like that.

Are they fucking kidding with that shit? And you know what, I bet it works. I bet there are many people who probably believe that if they buy NutriClean food, they are buying as good as organic. Because organic is just a method of farming!!! Are they kidding? That's the worst kind of public relations and I am embarassed to be part of that industry at times (and this is one of those times)! And sure, you do the NutriClean and so you have no pesticides on the outside of your fruit...but how the hell was it grown? And what did it do to the environment? And what kind of frankenfruit is it made of? And what kind of pesticides are on the inside? I mean, COME ON! It's embarassing!

Also...I finally understand why, when I was little, my mom used to make us clean up before the cleaning lady came. I never understood that. "Clean your room!" she would say, "Dorothy is coming tomorrow." Dorothy was our cleaning lady...And I used to argue with my mother about that...because it just did not make any sense...why, I would ask her, would I clean up if the cleaning lady was coming? Don't we want her to clean...isn't that what we are paying her for? But I am having the cleaning lady come tomorrow and I need to clean up...so now I get it...

No comments: