Wednesday, March 26, 2003

I love Wednesdays. For one hour each Wednesday I can retreat into a fantasy world where the President is a brilliant, ideological liberal. He is pro-choice, he protects the environment, he understands the separation of church and state, he respects women. For the one hour each Wednesday that I spend watching the West Wing, I get to pretend Jeb Bartlett is the president...Since the 2000 election, I have found this to be one of the better hours of my week.

How do you fall out of love with someone? Every time I have been in love - all three times! - I was certain it would be "forever." Now, I get it that forever has different meaning when you are 16, 19 and 25. But it's still forever, you know? And the thing is, each time you think it will be forever, and it turns out not to be, it makes it that much harder to fall again, right? Because you have evidence that as much as you may love a person, you may not always love them (or them you). That being said, I have fallen in love three times in my relatively short life. Each time the "love" felt different...and while I thought all three would be the love of my life, only once was I old enough to make one of them a real candidate. But I digress. What is strange to me is how much I can love a man, want to spend the rest of my life with him (or at least want to try and see if I want to spend the rest of my life with him...) and then one day, I find I have fallen out of love with him. I still feel love for sure...but it's different. It's like a fondness for memories and a sweet spot for what could have been. But I just am not in love anymore. I don't get that tingly feeling when you think about him. I don't count the moments until we will be together again. I don't fantasize about our wedding, our marriage, our first home together, our kids. But at one point in time, this was what I did. So how does it happen that it just dissipates? I would understand if he hit me, cheated on me, lied to me, told me he didn't love me. But he didn't. It was circumstance that drove us apart...you know what they say, "it's all in the timing." Anyway, much time has passed and I have moved on...whatever that means. I am not in love anymore. And though I no longer want to be with him, there is something sad about the fact that you can love someone so deeply, want so much to live the rest of your life as his partner in crime...and then one day you don't. I just think that's weird.

No comments: