Wednesday, October 22, 2003

I am getting excited for the Presidential campaign to really heat up! Twelve years ago (12 years!) I was looking forward to primary season...it was a little different being on the East Coast and road tripping to New Hampshire to volunteer for Bob Kerry (my first choice candidate)...and then, of course, being so active in the College Democrats and then working for the Massachusetts Democratic Party. I was at the center of the action! And then, I was graciously given the most amazing opportunity and experience, hired as the Massachusetts student coordinator for Clinton Gore/Victor 92...so of course this time around it will be a bit different. But somehow, I suspect I will be no less emotionally involved. In fact, I have a hunch I may be even more personally connected this time around. Because at this point, age 31, I know how crucial this is. In 1991/1992, when I was 19/20 years old, getting ready to graduate college, facing my adult life and my college loans, thinking about what kind of world I wanted to help create, all I wanted was a President that reflected my values and stood for the same kinds of things I stood for. That's why I was/am a Democrat, and have been for as long as I can remember (okay, when I was in fifth grade I had a brief moment where I tried to campaign at school for Lew Lehrman to be Governor of New York against Mario Cuomo because I believed so strongly in the death penalty; and in 7th grade I debated Beth Goldstein at a school assembly over the abortion issue - and I argued the anti-choice side! Clearly things changed - dramatically). But now, I am 31...I still want a President that reflects my values and stands for what I do. But I am not looking to change the world like I was when I got swept up in the Clinton Gore movement. Instead, I am looking to make sure there still is a world in generations to come.

=========

Why is it that some people (not me) are more cut out for corporate America than other people (me)? It's the part of me that is like my dad. The part that is creative and thinks big; but also the part that doesn't like authority or rules. Why, after seven years, have I still not managed to fit into this environment?

No comments: