Tuesday, October 21, 2003

My friend Peter has a mantra that goes something like this, "Don't do anything just yet. The right thing to do will become obvious. Until then, just keep going with the flow." He has said it to me many times in the past. Times when I was thinking about breaking up with A___ (I did) or trying to figure out how/if to date Broadway (ouch) or toying with quitting my job at Levi's after only a few short months (I did)...It seems like such obvious advice. But it is also quite useful. I often use it on myself when I don't know what to do in a situation. It helps me to stop and take a breath before I dive head first into a decision. Maybe that's wimpy of me, but I actually think it saves me from taking steps I may later regret. Every day for the past week or so I have been reminding myself of this notion...to not do anything until the right thing to do becomes obvious. Of course, it's about a boy. I wish those things could be more cut and dried...that the right thing to do would be easy to determine. Alas, I am not so lucky. So I wait for the right thing to become obvious. And until then I try to be patient. Of course I take small steps, steps that seem at once right and crucial for sanity-preservation, while also seeming immature - like deleting him from my instant messenger or from my cell phone.

Will dealing with the opposite sex always seem like a repeat of high school, only older, with higher stakes?

No comments: