Sunday, January 25, 2004

Today was the Third Annual Louie Tri...What a great day, even if it was freezing out! I am so glad I was able to be in good enough health to follow through my commitment as Volunteer Wrangler! So many people showed up, stood around dutifully in the frigid weather and cheered and assisted the athletes, all in the spirit of Louie, our dear departed friend, teammate and fellow triathlete...I was proud that I was able to get so many volunteers there, and that it all seemed to go so smoothly...even though I am not on the team anymore, and my work with the Leukemia Society is limited to these random volunteer events and helping Coach Wayne fundraise, I am thrilled to maintain some connection to this cause that has given my life a spark that it didn't have before.

I think I may bail on Ironman this year. I was up in the middle of the night thinking about it and I just don't know if I have the fire in me. I admit, the health issues have played a role. I don't want to start Ironman training in March...that just doesn't feel right, and it makes me think I will be stressing about mileage and fitness...and I would rather do it in a way that allows me to have fun and feel good about my commitment. There is just so much going on for me this summer that I want to be able to enjoy. I want to travel and I don't think I want to just squeeze it in in August...I would rather travel end of June and July and be back in SF for the birth of Beep's baby and of course of Buzzie's baby...and get my crap together and think about school (godwilling I get in!) and be able to do it without too much time pressure and Ironman pressure. So I am leaning against doing it. I need a few more weeks to decide. I know I was going to decide by the new year, and I did...but I think part of me decided to do it in the hope that I would soon get inspired. But I think my body, with all the sickness and other issues, is trying to tell me something. So perhaps I will do Wildflower and Alcatraz and maybe even Pac Grove...that can be enough for me...and then, of course, NYC Marathon...I just don't want any regrets. And I need to make sure of that.

No comments: